Stay Warm & Save This Winter
These tips from the Energy Education Council will increase heating efficiency and help you manage your heating expenses:
- Adjust your thermostat based on your needs. While you are away at school or work, turn the thermostat down. You can also turn the thermostat down at night when you can cover up with blankets. A programmable thermostat can automatically make these adjustments for you.
- Replace your furnace filter monthly to save energy and improve heat circulation.
- Use sunlight’s natural heat to your advantage by opening curtains and blinds on sunny days to warm your home.
- Close your fireplace damper when you are not using the fireplace. This prevents heat from escaping and cold from entering through your chimney.
- If you have older or leaky windows, consider temporary fixes, such as plastic film kits that create the effect of an interior storm window.
- Weather stripping is relatively easy and available at your local home improvement store. Stop drafts from coming in and heat from leaking out of your home through drafty doors and windows.
- Use caulk to seal gaps in the walls of your home or apartment. Wherever different building materials meet, or wiring comes out of a wall, there are gaps that may contribute to the loss of heat in your home.