Unclaimed Capital Credits

Each year, former cooperative members leave money behind when they neglect to leave a forwarding address. That money is their share of credits allocated to their account when they were co-op members. If you move from our service area, the credits accumulated in your account remain in your name. That's why it's important to give us a current address anytime you move so we can send you a refund when capital credits are retired.

After three years, any unclaimed funds go to the state. To update your address information, contact us at (336) 625-5177. To search for money that has been escheated to the state treasurer, search the NC Unclaimed Property site.